Re: (TFT) Whimpy shields - what era?

The example story in original Melee is from Imperial Rome. TFT can be used for various settings. The gunpowder only appears in the books oriented around Cidri, which is actually a futuristic (or at least 1980's ;-) ) time period, though on another world, and with mostly a mix of ancient/medieval and magical technology.

To answer your question, though, I think the TFT shield mechanic of subtracting a little damage best simulates resistance to gunfire, where a bullet might tend to be slowed but not stopped by a shield.

Comparing TFT combat to GURPS combat, it strikes me that the fighting style of TFT fighters in GURPS terms might be the tactic of using all-out-attacks most of the time, since TFT fighters rarely defend and rely on taking the enemy down (or having lots of armor and shrugging off hits) before they get hurt. In that style, having a shield doesn't do much because you're focused on attack rather than defense.

However I think that the shield effect was chosen during the design of Melee, where SJ was balancing equipment for his arena combat design, and I remember when I was learning Melee in the context of mostly duels, that having a shield was a fairly important advantage for starting characters trying to duel another starting character, because it stopped more damage than it reduced your own DX. I imagine SJ thinking about Melee balance and considering people with ST 11 or less with swords and axes, having trouble damaging someone with say a Large Shield AND Leather, for 4 armor, and didn't want armor to get to be too strong for balance purposes.

That's just my imagination, of course, but I think the values that exist come from that stage of design, which was focused on balancing lowish-point characters in duels, and having it be fairly balanced with different weapon/armor combos all being somewhat viable. That, and wanting it to be fast and simple and so not have too effective defense that might be seen as tedious or complex.

PvK

--- rsmith@lightspeed.ca wrote:

Hi all,
  We can all agree that TFT is set in the time
period known as "Fantasy".  However, the
inclusion of gunpowder tends to make us think
that TFT belongs fairly late in human history.

  That said, gunpowder is not an entirely
happy addition to TFT and I know of several
TFT GM's who simply don't use it.

  Neglecting the early gunpowder era, what era
of human history would TFT shields best simulate?
At what point are TFT shields closest to being
realistic?

  Warm regards, Rick.