Re: (TFT) this new TFT like game popped up. here are some links. Mr 'No self control' bought a copy

> I think maybe raito didn't literally mean that the ONLY reason to have a
> big list of talents is not being able to figure out how to roleplay, but I
> can't resist replying that it is not the only reason. At least for some
> types of players, it can be helpful and important to know which
> characters, for example, know how to swim, climb, ride a horse, speak
> French, work as an accountant, etc., and which do not know that, and who
> would not like some players just improvising that their characters have
> whatever talents are convenient out of their imagination, and/or not being
> able to remember who has what skill or not.

I'm not seeing where this has any bearing on number of Talents. Every
skill you mention has a Talent counterpart. All you seem to be addressing
is whether they're written down or not.

What I like about TFT is precisely that characters don't have reams of
game-mechanic related information.

I played D&D for a long time. And part of the problem there was that a
fighter was a fighter was a fighter. You were stupid to not wear plate and
carry a longsword.

The Talent system breaks the sort of class-based personalities of D&D, and
that's a good thing. But the character sheet is just a sketch. Fortunately
for TFT, it's enough of a sketch to let the character play well, but
leaves enough room for personality.

And I like that the sketch stays sketchy. Remember, my model is Nehwon.
Characters can't do everything. In fact, they can hardly do anything (out
of a world of possibilities). And that's just better for the roleplay.

I don't want to play Superman.

Neil Gilmore
raito@raito.com