Re: (TFT) long talent/skill lists

> --- raito@raito.com wrote:
>
>>>So, how do I create, for
>>> example, a capable character in terms of skills, who isn't terribly
>>> smart?
>>
>>You don't. I really haven't found those people in nature, either.
>
> I think one _does_ find people with various Talents that don't have
> "high IQ" for other purposes, though I suppose it depends on how you
> define talents. If you say everyone has general competence in expected
> areas that aren't Talents, then that's something else. But if you are
> going to require several points of IQ just not not be incompetent in
> various skills, and then make people "run out" of IQ points and be unable
> to learn something compared to someone else, because they know how to
> climb and swim and so somehow can't fit another talent in their brain,
> but someone like them who didn't ever learn swimming might have more
> room, well that seems entirely incorrect to me.

It's also not all about brain power. That's another abstraction. It's also
about how well one can keep up the skills. Remember how you can forget a
Talent by not deliberately not using it? It follows that if you don't
practice, or otherwise maintain the skills, they stop working. Part of IQ
is the ability to maintain the skills. More skills means more maintenance.
Doing that in a fixed amount of time requires more IQ.

As for general competence, if people didn't have it, then it would be
forbidden to even try something without the appropriate Talent. And we
know that TFT allows that is most cases.

Neil Gilmore
raito@raito.com