Re: (TFT) long talent/skill lists

> However if I didn't like that and wanted to keep the IQ limit, I might add
> a system where you can learn a new talent, but if you don't "have room",
> you need to neglect attention on an old talent, which you still have but
> it becomes officially Rusty or Neglected and has some penalty to use it -
> maybe even with a system where the penalty is based on how long you
> neglect it, or how many neglected talents you have.

This is mentioned in TFT. If I weren't at work, I'd find it and quote it.

> The other Talent issue is that I'd want to be able to represent both
> masters (Talent+1,+2, etc.) and dabblers (people who have some competence
> but not enough to be counted as the full Talent). That _would_ allow the
> kind of skill development I was talking about from the GURPS campaign,
> albeit with a less grainy system.

I'm less sure of this, but it may also be mentioned in the sections
detailing learning Talents, at least as far as trying to use a Talent one
is learning, but has not learned. As for 'masters', there are lower and
higher levels for many Talents (just not all of them).

And how would you implement this?

If a character adds to an attribute, all the Talents that depend on it are
generally improved. Adding to a single Talent would have to be cheap
enough that it's worth it to not hold out for improving attributes.

If these extra levels just improve die rolls, you'll run into scaling
problems. If these extra levels comfer other abilities, they ought ot be a
Talents on their own.

Neil Gilmore
raito@raito.com