Re: (TFT) New Monster: Flesh Ferret

And now for the entertaining answers :D
This was the best part of my day. Thanks for the opportunity to smile :D

On Wed, Mar 13, 2013 at 2:51 PM, <raito@raito.com> wrote:

> > Wondrous Eyes as eyes behind spell, always on.
>
> Why the Wondrous Eyes moniker for this ability?

Wonderous eyes because they dont have physical eyes. Wonder how they see?
its a magical demonic ability. How do demons see in the vast darkness of
the void?

> >   -Horror cry as fear spell 4d6 vs IQ or abort action and runaway
>
> What about the deaf or those who otherwise can't hear?

I was prepared to answer this. They arent affected.

> >   -Dripping flesh spell 3d6 vs Str or take 1d6. Requires cure poison
> > potion
> > or spell.
>
> Does this require a to-hit? If it's a spell, what is its ST cost? Thrown,
> missile, or special?

Its a normal adjDex melee attack.  They can do the chitinous arm club or
activate the poison.

> > Treasure: 1point spell stone in its brain, of course, where else?  or
> > random scroll with one spell.
>
> What is a 1 point spell stone? Is it a ST battery or somehting else?
>
> And I'm not digging the scroll thing (bonus rants coming up...)
>
> One thing I hated about most D&D campaigns was that the monsters never
> used their treasure for anything. What do these monsters use their
> treasure for? Why would one of these be carrying around a scroll?

Its random treasure for dnders.  They use the scrolls as bibs at dinner
time.

> And since in TFT we know how scrolls are made, it really doesn't make
> sense for one of these to be carrying a scroll with some random spell on
> it. And that's because someone had to know the spell to write the scroll,
> or use one of the other methods.
>
> Random scrolls don't make sense (most random magic treaures don't make
> sense). It says that if I kill enough of these creatures, I'll have a
> scroll for every spell. That is plainly ridiculous.

Random treasure is not for every one. its an aquired taste and by the way
Ive run games where players WAREHOUSE their magic items and never use them,
thats why i dont give many
random magic items out.

> Also seems to overpowered to be running around in packs in my campaign.
> Stronger than most humans, with armour that doesn't change their DX or
> movement, and attacks that are fairly overpowered compared to a human. OK,
> they do less damage in a straight attack, but that poison is a killer.

Agreed which is why Id not use more than one or two

> And I also don't like constantly dripping creatures. Where does the blood
> keep coming from?

Hum. After a fair amount of contemplation, Id like to divert my attention
to the common slug. Our little friend is made up of alot of water and with
our a shell he is prone to dessication. Similarly our friend the FLESH
MONSTER lacks the protection of an out layer of ectodermal tissue and their
for are prone to oozing and dripping.

As for your question where the blood comes from, id like to turn your
attention to the poem Beowulf.

http://www.nexuslearning.net/books/elements_of_lit_course6/anglo_saxon_period
/The%20Arrival.htm

"150     And best of them, that my duty was to go to the Danes
            Great king. They have seen my strength for themselves,
            Have watched me rise from the darkness of war,
            Dripping with my enemies blood. I drove
            Five great giants into chains, chased"

Apparently the blood comes from their enemies. Unsuspecting heroes like you
and me.