(TFT) Melee Arena discussion

I've been following yesterday's discussion of a live online Melee Arena.
I say this not to be critical as I've been writing software of my own to assist in playing, but, I have a question.
There's already a cross platform compatible, online playable Melee/Wizard module for Vassal.  They've got servers running already so more computers aren't required to start playing now.  Isn't Melee Arena re-inventing the wheel?
Vassal is also fairly extensible and a great deal of functionality can be added with extensions.
Has anyone working on the project looked into building on this existing foundation?

Sent from my iPhone