Re: (TFT) Simplified experience.

On Thu, Aug 15, 2013 at 11:05 AM, Joe Hartley <jh@brainiac.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 15 Aug 2013 10:28:35 -0700
> Jay Carlisle <maou.tsaou@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > HT wrote several games including a RPG after SJ... Trailblazer?
>
> Actually a Greg Costikyan design.

Doah! uhhh GC? doah? SSI? uhhhhhh Starg... Sooooo many GAMES!
Oh I know,
http://prezi.com/gsfjmbkdfomu/costikyans-vocabulary-of-game-design/ New
Book on uncertainty out so Google shows it first... on EVERY page its on...
http://play-make.com/?p=160 Vector 3 SPI Bleh! Can't remember diddly. Star
Gate was something else but maybe the same company? IDK Too whupt to sweat
it till morning... finish up and sack out.
But first;
Hey Joe!? Didn't HT get a credit on some future setting RPG w/3 stats,
simple system, etc? Nope, I'll give it a skip till morning if it's not on
the tip of someones brain.
And http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3672
So... "In principle, it would be possible to implement a game of this type
that doesn't conform to the "beads-on-a-string" model; in practice, it
makes little sense to do so. Content development is expensive, and if a
player is only exposed to part of it in the course of a game, you've wasted
development money. And the more branches you have, the less of the overall
game a player will see."
IDK... it's a fail... why me? I gotta be crying story is bad in
participative play when it seems opinion runs contrary... "The subject is
the "ongoing culture clash between those who view story as perhaps
important but tangential to understanding the nature of games, and those
who view it as essential"
I view story as a mockery of Player choice both presenting an illusion that
Player action is effective in altering events when it cannot and rendering
what Actions Players take as near moot, at least on the "beads on a string"
model that seems to be the only practical "cost effective" arrangement for
game structure as not experiencing a part of the game is a waste. Bad news
Planet Earth. Your a overall waste as Jay doesn't roam freely to and fro to
see all your content so why'd ya bother with it? Other Players? Noooooo,
really?
Game play is not where to cut costs and any kid cutting content to save
decor graphics is ass backwards serving money first Players later if at
all. The GM is a servant not a deity and Players are not there to serve
some plotline but to be entertained and participate in play. Art is not
sufficient by itself to support ambiance or feel for very long without
strong gameplay which can be sufficient to stand without A level art but
art can take on additional information representationally such as scaling
info, stride length, reach, etc. These are not pawns and you can't separate
them as individuals then consider all of them to be the same. (exceptions
where this is sorted for) Multiple endings cost too much and waste content
and so beads on a string to the same ending for everyone and we all know
how easy it is to please every one with the same thing... "You can please
all of the people all of the time" I hear experience over my nillatude but
this one seems... off, like most of my stuff, I'm not ranking here or
trying to poo poo a very successful fella in the field... and Toon man...
Toon. I'm just trying to hammer out my thoughts on story and I seem blessed
to take the none ever position for story inclusion and it looks like I'll
be all by my lonesome in that stand. I simply can't see why it's insisted
upon so strongly.