Re: (TFT) Combined Offensive/Defensive Action

Paying fatigue to defend seems weird to me, but paying fatigue to attack make sense. Granted, I only have very limited stick-fighting experience. But I'm inclined to say, just defending doesn't cost fatigue, just attacking doesn't cost fatigue, but doing both those things in the same turn should, and should also come with DX penalties to the attack.

So if you have a low-DX, high-ST figure fighting a high-DX, low-ST figure, Mr. Low-DX can defend and attack every turn, thus making himself harder to hit, while also still having a chance (albeit a small one) each turn to hit Mr. High-DX. And he can keep doing this for longer than his opponent can. Plus, if he's wielding anything heavier than a broadsword, he's doing enough damage that he only has to land a couple of blows. You'd have to do some math and tinkering (how exactly does this defense work - is it standard "opponent has to roll 4 dice" or what?) to make sure the playing field stays even, but I think it could be relatively simple gameplay-wise once you figured it out.

Original Melee is a pure tradeoff between ST and DX, implying that they are, and should be, of equal value in combat. IQ and combat talents complicate things, because they often allow you to get more mileage out of your already-good attributes (Fencing and Two Weapons let you capitalize on DX, Warrior and Veteran make your ST go farther by stopping damage, etc).

Most of the above is probably achingly obvious to everyone else, if that's the case, please forgive me for restating it :)