Re: (TFT) More long bow reflections

Also remember that the reason guns became dominate over arrows was not the
penetrating power or certainly the rate of fire, but from the fact you could
train someone in a couple of weeks to use it properly.

 All the way up to the Civil War, arrows were faster and/or more accurate than
gun powder weapons.  The rifle used by hunters and sharpshooter of the
colonial days maybe fired 2 times per minute if you were very good.  The Brown
Bess the British armies main weapon in the Napoleonic Wars could be fired 5
times per minute but was inaccurate after 50 paces, a trained bowman was
easily accurate at twice that range some even farther.

 The Girandoni air rifle that Lewis and Clark had could fire up to 30 shots a
minute as I recall and was very accurate, the Austrians had introduced the gun
into service but found that it was too fragile for major field use.  That is
one exception I can think of, but again it was not a gunpowder weapon.

   Edward Kroeten
     Farmers Agent
     39899 Balentine Drive Suite 200
     Newark, CA 94560