Re: (TFT) The year is 20XX...

Test

________________________________
 From: Erol K. Bayburt <Ero
lB1@aol.com>
To: tft@brainiac.com
Sent: Tuesday, April 15, 2014 5:51 P
Subject: Re: (TFT) The year is 20XX...

I think we may be misun
derstanding each other: I'm asking where,
exactly, Metagaming published
"three hexes in a straight line" as an
official TFT rule.

If they d
idn't publish it anywhere as an official TFT rule, then it
isn't an offi
cial TFT rule but only Yet Another Proposed Optional Rule.

(Not that I
'd use it even if it were "official." But I like to keep
track of what t
he official rules are even when I don't use them.)

Erol K. Bayburt
rolB1@aol.com

On 4/15/2014 12:29 PM, David O. Miller wrote:
> Nothin
g written up, as I said just inferred from reading a lot about
> the subj
ect from a variety of sources. I wasn't there so I don't know
> for sure
but I think my conclusions are probably close to the truth.

> I total
ly agree with you about over-corrections. In my humble opinion
> trying t
o fix a perceived problem with the pole weapon rules by
> introducing mor
e rules is not in the spirit of the game. However
> people are free to al
ter any game to make it fit better with their,
> and their groups, playin
g style. I'm certainly not a rules lawyer in
> that regard! I too have ad
ded in a couple of small rule "tweaks" over
> the years.
>
> I'm sure
 whatever solution you come up with, if applied consistently,
.

> If you'd like to try out the: back up one hex and "lunge" attack
back
> into your opponent, adding an additional die of damage if you hit

> tweak. It's worked great for our group for the past 15 years or so.

> Good luck! David __________________________________________ David O.

> Miller www.meleewizards.com Miller Design/Illustration
> www.davidom
iller.com

. Bayburt" <ErolB1@aol.com>
> wrote:
>
>> I knew that a lot of ideas
for "fixing" the pole weapons were
>> thrown around after Steve Jackson l
eft Metagaming, but I didn't
>> think anything official had been settled
on. Where was this written
>> up? Interplay?
>>
>> My own house rules
 do include something like your two suggestions,
>> but that's because I
have deliberately set out to change the
>> "flavor" of combat in my own c
ampaign.

>> I am on the side that sees the pole weapon charge rules
as broken,
>> but I also think that most of the proposed changes are

 over-corrections, if one wants to stick close to the letter and
>> spiri
t of the original rules. And that includes the "three hexes in
>> a strai
ght line" requirement, official or not.

>> Erol K. Bayburt ErolB1@ao
l.com

>> On 4/15/2014 10:50 AM, David O. Miller wrote:
>>> Erol,

>>> Howard Thompson and team added that in after Steve Jackson had

>>> left the company. It's only in the very last addition of TFT and,

>>> as far as I can tell, was added because of a lot of vocal
>>> dissati
sfaction concerning the pole weapon charge attack rules.
>>> Of course th
ose of us who don't think the rule is broken usually
>>> don't complain a
bout it. Therefore I think it was a simple case
>>> of the squeaky wheel
gets the oil. The other possible factor is
>>> that Thompson was trying t
o move away from Jackson's version of
>>> the rules and mold them more to
 his own tastes. Me, I'll stick
>>> with the original designer's rules.

>>> Two quick things.1. I think a lot of people got hung up on the

>>> word "charge". Call it a one hex "lunge" attack and the rule
uddenly just sounds better.

>>> 2. If you really want to nerf the t
wo top tiered pole weapons
>>> just add in an extra die damage rather tha
n double what's rolled.
>>> Keeps the lower pole weapons doing basically
double damage while

1:34 AM, "Erol K. Bayburt" <ErolB1@aol.com>

ules for pole weapons and charge attacks are as big a
se-rule changes as the rules for HTH combat.

 under "Charge Attack" the note "Special case
amage, if last 3 hexes in a line)." Is
tagaming, added late in TFT's
mehow crept into what
les?

 not get either double damage or the possible +2 DX bonus if he
his opponent were in adjacent hexes at any time during the
turn."

014 3:13 AM, Edmund Nelson wrote:
> [...]
absolute perfection. I
 all to spears
eral rule

 spears have an amazing properties in being pole weapons, The
can disengage from the slower enemy and instead of
ker shots they can deal one double damage
er than having 1 double damage
r ones. this makes most
ne needs to have an
so they avoid
eater.

> potential candidates to beat spearmen Cutless Small shield
or- 14 Dexterity lets him  hit spearmen turn 1 and
roll .less than 3, however still is very weak
 and unfortunately just can't cut it
r armor 10 Dexterity vs 13,
 problem of losing to
hit the initial
 they do

lass with Chain and a large shield the strategy is to
 turn of charge and then to counterattack on the
st how good that is is hard to know because
 The best I can come up with is Charge
n has a 40% chance (rounded) of
t they do 1 1/6 times 3
the spearman needs
note that

nd 2/6ths of the time deal marginal damage (though 3+7
s cated  they hit 50% of the
l less damage overall,
w until more data

 .com. Unsubscribe by mailing to