Re: (TFT) Pole weapon charge attacks. The year is 20XX...

I'm with John.  In my group's experience, this has never been an issue.

Rich

________________________________
From: John <johnnyboy
tmm@juno.com>
To: tft@brainiac.com
Sent: Wednesday, April 16, 2014 11:
08 PM
Subject: Re: (TFT) Pole weapon charge attacks. The year is 20XX...

Very similar to my experience.

we use the charge rules in Adv
anced Melee (no need for 3 hexes straight) and in 35 years I have had exact
ly NO adverse experiences as a GM.  All of our experiences with charge at
tack have been great.

the specific concern of a higher dex spearman di
sengaging every other round would never fly with our group, because it is s
uch a loser move.  Not that I would disallow it as a GM, but anyone who t
ried sucha thing would be mocked, regularly, for decades.  Even if it wor
ked.  That self correction of weaselly behavior might not work for every
group, but it works for mine.

the only recurring charge attack story w
ith our group involved forcing a retreat every time that the player damaged
 teh monster, and charging into the retreating figure.  That process, how
ever, is cool, rather than weaselly, and has been remembered fondly by all
involved for 25 years now.

good times.