Re: (TFT) The return of Ogre - Rick did something silly.

On Tue, 29 Jul 2014 12:09:02 -0400
"gem6868" <gem6868@verizon.net> wrote:

> Gents, it's not just that.  They're selling an original reprint of Car Wars
> for $2.50 called "mini car wars".  Just looking at the graphics makes me wax
> nostalgic.
> http://www.warehouse23.com/products?utf8=%E2%9C%93&keywords=Car+Wars&x=0&y=0

Very nice, I like the PDF option so I can just print it out myself.

> There's a LOOSE POSSIBILITY that if these mini-game reissues sell that
> they'll reissue GEV, but we're not counting on it [just hopeful].

I'll cross my fingers for that!

> And he's re-issued "Man-to-Man" which is essentially Melee/Wizard updated

I never got into GURPS, and didn't know about the Jackson/Thompson split at the
time since I didn't subscribe to any of the magazines and electronic
communication was not widespread at the time.

> These are GREAT DAYS for nostalgic gaming, friends!

Indeed!

> An email to Steve Jackson years ago about re-issuing original Melee and
> Wizard resulted in the reply that all of the pocket games aren't his
> property and that the owner has been MIA from the gaming world for years.

Howard Thompson's not hard to find, but he seems reluctant to part with
any of the titles he owns or to bother having them reprinted.  When SJ left
Metagaming, he was allowed/could afford to take either Ogre or Melee/Wizard
but not both.

I believe he tried again to get TFT some time after Metagaming had ceased to be,
but found the price too high.

> Also, that GURPS is a better design anyway, correcting some of the problems
> of Melee / Wizard.

Heresy!  :)