Re: (TFT) The return of Ogre - Rick did something silly.

Man-to-Man was the "Melee" of GURPS -- no magic.  For magic, you had to b
uy other books.  Back then, I think the default RPG was fantasy ("Yrth" a
nd the "Banestorms").  Nowadays it seems to be very much an afterthought.
  Man-to-Man did a good job on all aspects of dismounted combat, but, aga
in, it was too fiddly for me; odd when you consider that I've actually play
ed Campaign for North Africa and After the Holocaust, but I prefer man-to-m
an combat games to flow a little more smoothly than enormous games on logis
tics and economic production -- its the same reason I never really liked Dr
agonquest as much -- SPI managed to convert a basically Melee/Wizard system
 into something that took about five times as long as the actual fight to p
lay out.  Melee always just "felt" better and ran quickly and smoothly.
 And Wizard never managed to complicate it so much that it became a burde
n.

If you want to see some corrections for pole weapons use in TFT
, check out Dark City Games, which I think does a better job of that sort o
f thing.  Heroes and Other Worlds also changes that up some -- making it
less "gamey."  And of course, many of the contributors on this blog have
published house rules here that address the issue.