Re: (TFT) The return of Ogre - Rick did something silly.

I'd support doing so -- as long as we kept to the spirit of the original.

But hasn't something like this already been done by several folks on
this board?  And by both Dark City Games and Chris Gonnerman with his "He
roes and Other Worlds?"

But in my perfect world, here's what I'd like
to see:

Admittedly, I prefer something less dramatic to better handle
the drain of magic energy than either Fatigue or Endurance -- would, in fac
t, prefer something along the lines of "Mana points" that act SOLELY to pow
er magic without interfering in physical injuries, etc.  And, of course,
we'd need to introduce some sort of healing magic spells/potions/items to m
ake it possible for characters to actually survive a dungeon crawl without
the "five minutes of violence followed by two weeks of recovery" meme reari
ng it's ugly head.

I'd also like to see something done with the experi
ence points system -- perhaps more analogous to Dark City Games' methodolog
y (which also tends to solve the issue of wizards with 50 points of IQ, sin
ce under the DCG system, they can just learn talents/spells rather than hav
ing to up their basic characteristics, though I also like the players havin
g the option to do just that).

Other than those (and maybe some decent
 mounted and aerial combat rules), I can't really see a whole lot of things
 that need to be changed, per se.  Oh, you might want to look at some dif
ferent tables for "off-duty" time -- I once worked up some tables for that
stuff based on the tables in Down With the King that my players seemed to e
njoy, but all of that sort of thing would just be add ons. Indeed, if anyon
e here has run a full-up campaign of The Fantasy Trip, you undoubtedly came
 up with all kinds of random tables and things (wandering monsters, wildern
ess encounters, whatever) just as I did so you could play things by ear whe
n your players wandered off the reservation.  Those things could easily b
e put together as optional tables as well.

And some guy went to the en
ormous trouble of converting Empire of the Petal Throne to TFT -- my hat's
REALLY off to him -- that would be a ton of work, but gave us some pretty n
ifty new monsters and stuff to use.  (I admit I have a special place for
EPT, given that it was the very first FRPG that my brother and I ever playe
d -- even before we ran across a copy of the LBB version of D&D a few month
s later, so I've FREQUENTLY used EPT creatures to throw the fear of the god
s into my players over the years....)

I definitely would like to see a
 "35th Anniversary" issue of TFT though.  I imagine all of us would, thou
gh the debates on what ought to be changed could be fairly enthusiastic....
  ;-)