Re: (TFT) Man To Man & GURPS

I resent that remark about miniatures rules! I have never noticed less "wackiness" in how boardgame quantifications work.

That being said, I think D&D had a LOT of very odd mechanics, and I'm unsurprised that SJ was inspired to write what he did for the reason stated.

-----Original Message----- From: Jeffrey Vandine
Sent: Monday, August 04, 2014 1:42 PM
To: tft@brainiac.com
Subject: Re: (TFT) Man To Man & GURPS

Gygax and Arneson weren't paper map and counter wargamers.  They were min
iatures wargamers, and frankly, miniature rules have always been a bit wack
y in regard to what precisely gets quantified, and how it gets applied in t
he game.  It's one reason why I never really got into miniature gaming --
a lot of the things they do just don't seem to pass the common sense test.
 But it DOES explain why Gygax and Arneson did things the way they did -
- they just sort of extrapolated from their normal gaming "milieu" (to use
a Gygaxianism that always annoyed the heck out of me).