 From: Rick Smith <rick_ww@lightspeed.ca>
To: tft@brainiac.com

Sent: Thursday, August 7, 2014 2:53 PM
Subject: (TFT) Hell Tank vs Ogr

Hi all,
  Hell Tank and HT Destroyer were far more realistic
 games than OGRE
and GEV.  In OGRE, we have a move / fire sequence, so
an out of range
attacker can scoot up to a hidden and dug in defender and
 shoot first.

  No tactical game can have a move / fire game sequenc
e and be considered
realistic.  (Altho it does not work bad for strateg
ic level games.)

  The thing that makes OGRE GEV is the cyber tanks.
  ONE tank going against
a whole armor division has an instantly recogn
izable appeal.

  Hell tank felt like a much more regular war game, w
ith higher counter
densities, much more difficult for the attacker to do
 things, etc.  It does not have
the easy to pick up fun factor of OGRE.

  I actually respected that Metagaming was trying for a more realis
tic game to
replace Ogre and GEV.

  Warm regards, Rick

On 2014-08-07, at 1:49 PM, Jeffrey Vandine wrote:

> Helltank and He
lltank Destroye
> r were interesting from two different aspects -- the fi
rst being that it pr
> ovided a slightly different take on future war fro
m Ogre/GEV, and, in some
> ways, was more balanced and realistic.  The
 second being that once again
> H.T. was doing his best to undermine a S
teve Jackson product.  Had Hellta
> nk and HD been better playtested an
d had a little bit more money spent for
> improved graphics, they might
have even succeeded.  As it was, while they
> were interesting to play,
 they lacked some of the excitement of Ogre/GEV.

_________________________

 them h
> ad different tastes from me. I liked
> OGRE, and kind of lik
ed Ice War, bu
> t Helltank Destroyer had a little
> too much of a fla
vor of what seems to
> me like enthusiasm for future
> war with the t
hen Eastern Bloc. Growing up
> during the Cold War, I
> ended up with
an aversion to that fight, as it l
> ooked like a likely
> way to end
all life on Earth. Interesting to the gam
> ing morality
> discussion,
 I have little problem playing wargames with or
> as Nazis
> and Sovi
ets (as long as it has nothing to do with death camps o
> executin
g prisoners).

> At 06:23 AM 8/7/2014, gem6868 wrot

> e:
>> and what does it tell us about our primitive gaming ancestors??
  :)

 Sent: Thursday
> ,
>> August 07, 2014 3:14 AM To: tft@brainiac.com Su
bject: Re: (TFT) Re: N
> ostalgia
>> I've got a complete Helltank Destr
oyer, almost usused. Just kee
> ping
>> it because it's an artifact.

>> At 09:34 AM 8/6/2014, gem6868
> wrote:
>>> I think I still
 have my copy of Helltank I and II in a box

> somewhere. Uber-che
ap graphics, but fun game.

> o the entire list by writing to tft@bra
iniac.com.