Re: (TFT) New TFT Talent: Shield Wall. VERSION 2.

Hi Neil,
  Good points.  I should have said in my rules you needed to have
one of your front hexes touch the hex in front of the next person
in the wall, or their own hex.

  With the rule written this way, figures spaces with a hex between
them automatically would not qualify.

  The rules should also specify that the next person in the shield
wall can not be behind you or directly in front of you.

  I do not think your shield wall rules should allow figures to
make a wall with six figures around a central hex.  I think that
their facings as so different that the shields could not cover each
other well.  In other words, I think that if the rules specify that
everyone on a shield wall should have the same facing, then
this is an advantage.

  These rules need to specify what happens if someone in a
shield wall does NOT have this talent.  John newbie, is fresh from
the farm and is given an ax and told to stand in a wall.  He knows
how to use a shield but not the shield wall talent.  What happens?
Likely he simply does not transmit the bonus to the men on each
side of him.

  I am tempted to say that the shields in a wall, protect one less point
than their rated value.  So a small shield protects 1–1 damage = 0.
So large shields would protect one, agis protect 2, tower shields
would protect 3 or more.  But then again, I might say tower shields
are too big for shield wall tactics.

  David Bofinger made the point that shields should likely only
protect the man on your left.  Sensible as far as realism goes.  If
that is the case, the rule above about shields doing one point less
than their rated value are likely not needed.

  Don suggests that there should be some penalty for attacking
out of shield wall.  This is true enough... a –2 adj DX penalty would
likely be realistic.  Worth the trouble?  On the other hand, part of
the talent would be training on how to attack out of a shield wall,
so maybe this is not needed.

  Peter suggests that shield walls make you harder to hit.  Say,
for argument, a –2 adj DX adjustment if you are part of the wall?
In many ways I like this better.  I would rather not tie them into the
Thail parry rules, because: 1) few people use them, and 2) they
are already complex enough.

  So here is my revised version:

IQ 8		Shield Wall (1) 	co-requisite shield.
General description: people with shields who all have this talent
may share damage protection from people to either side of them
when they form a solid line.
People in a line with you can not be in your rear hex, nor the hex
directly in front of you.  You may only get one bonus per side from
your left or right.
If two figures with this talent have 'overlapping' front hexes, each may
share one point of their shield's damage protection.  If you have a
man on each side of you, (each with this talent), you may get a point
of protection from each.
'Overlapping' in this context means if the attack comes thru a shared
front hex OR if you are standing in a front hex of the man beside
you (who is part of the shield wall, with this talent).  Note that you
must be adjacent AND have the same facing.

These are not final rules.  Things I am thinking about are:
-- Protect the people to right and left, or just left?
-- Protect full value of the shield, just one point, or between these?
-- Exclude tower shields as too unwieldy?
-- Peter's idea for making you harder to hit, rather than just stopping
more hits.

  I welcome more comments.

  Warm regards, Rick.