Re: (TFT) Hanging Magic in TFT.

Hi Rick, I understand. I was just offering feedback FWIW.

For the magic fist, I might use that as a way to assess cost, but would probably have the actual mechanic just be a save to avoid falling within a certain radius. That spell also begs for some good generic fire rules, since it will tend to start a large natural fie.

I actually wrote a somewhat similar system for high-powered wizardry for GURPS magic back in 1990. Like yours, I specified that it was for wizards who had developed a deeper understanding and mastery beyond individual spells. They could cast much more powerful spells, but for this they would use other techniques for gathering lots of energy, and those techniques were both closely-guarded secrets, and generally required decades of study and attunement. These techniques had their disadvantages, requirements and side-effects when used too excessively. So in contrast to your system, there was a cost to deal with after the spell was cast, not just before. As much as I dislike the forgetfulness aspect in D&D magic, I also had a forgetfulness component, but it was the opposite - these wizards knew so much abstract metamagical stuff as well as so many spells (even several ways to cast basically the same effect), that remembering a specific spell exactly and immediately could sometimes be a problem, but not because they just cast it. The effect was that they might not be so good at coming up with an immediate spell to counter a sudden problem immediately, but if you gave them time to work something out, they could conjure up something quite powerful.