Re: (TFT) New file on Farming in TFT.

Hi Peter, everyone.
  Using modern gardening techniques, people can be fed in a tiny amount
of space with greenhouses.  I've seen numbers around 3 ares which is 0.03
hectares per person.  Or less.  (The danger with less is you have NO
margin of error if bugs or some disease gets into your greenhouse.)  And
that is not stacking plants on shelves.

  Nothing in these techniques seem vastly beyond ancient technology
assuming that they have glass.  Add in a bit of magic and you could justify
just about any number you want.

  The numbers I've seen for Mediaeval China's food production are all over.
I picked some conservative ones in my essay, but doubling them (to 6 koku /
hectare), were among the reasonable numbers I've seen.  The problem is
that the sources mentioned China and rice production in passing and there
was no detailed description of how typical those values were, and at what
time the techniques for rice aquaculture were introduced.

  So I was guessing.

  For European farming, the numbers were much more clustered, and I took
conservative values.  So you could end up with numbers a bit higher than
mine (10%? 20%?) with no problem.  Do your number include fallow land?
That would make a big swing.

  My numbers do not work in all cases.  The Nile delta is higher than my
numbers for the European farm land.  However, I assumed that that was
because with the annual flood, they didn't have to leave any fields fallow.

  Of course, one thing our fantasy farmers have to deal with that real ones
don't, are griffon, apep and wyvern attacks.

  Anyway, if you have reliable sources that suggest that the population
density should be higher please let me know.  I thought the books I was
using were good 20 years ago when I wrote most of this, but I have no
idea what my sources were after all this time.

  Warm regards, Rick.