Re: (TFT) New file on Economics of Wishes in TFT.

Hi Peter,
  I calculated the cost of a wish as around $200, for that IQ 35 wizard.  However,
he could charge what the market would bear, and I think that $250,000 is a more
reasonable one than the price that was quoted in the book for wishes ($40,000).

  The odds of the wizard doing well in a battle of wills depends on if he has a
charm, but not as much as it used to.  A +2 charm is huge with a one die roll,
pretty important in 3 dice rolls, and lesser importance in 5 and 6 dice rolls.  It
does make the chance of a criticals (good and bad) considerably higher and
lower respectively, and that DOES help the wizard.  In other respects, it is just
a +2 IQ.

  How many wishes you want also comes into it.  If you are a PC, and you need
one wish, (say you will have only one chance at an assassination, and you
NEED to roll a triple damage on your arrow shot), Attempting a Battle of wills to
gain a wish from a lesser demon is reasonable with an IQ 26 or more.

  Lets say you roll 7 dice.  So the demon will have to roll 5 dice.

  Against a typical lessor demon with an IQ of 13, it will have a 85% chance of
blowing a 5 die roll vs its IQ.

  The chance of you making a 7 die roll is about 58%.  If you have a +2 charm, it
goes up to ~84%.

  You actually have a fair bit of leeway.  There is a pretty good chance of dying
if the demon is much smarter than you hope, but you are unlikely to be turned
to ash.  Even if the demon gets lucky and ends up with an 17 IQ, you have a fair
chance of still getting the wish.

  Let us say that you are willing to risk death for a wish.  Two thirds of the time, the
demon will have an IQ of 9, 10, 11 or 12.  It will likely blow a 4vsIQ, so then you only
have to make a 6vsIQ.  If you hope for a bit of luck (no 6 is rolled on the
1-die-reroll-5s), then an IQ of 23 is pretty good.  (A 21 with a +2 charm is even
better.)

  But if you wanted to make a couple million silvers by building a bunch of wishes
that you hope to sell at $250,000 each, then I would want a +2 charm and a 30 IQ.
Odds are very good you will get the 8 wishes in a row with no deaths.  But you
would be thinking seriously about the wisdom of trying for 4 million.  Which was
the point of the essay.

  If you wanted PC's to be more willing to risk battle of wills, you could lower the
base IQ of demons a couple points.  But then you likely would want to give them
a MINIMUM IQ of 8 or 10 or so.

  Warm regards, Rick.