Re: (TFT) New file on Farming in TFT.

Part of the problem, I think, is that just focusing on agriculture is too n
arrow a focus.  There are other forms of nutrition out there, ranging
from berry patches in woodlands (or along the verge of the road, for that m
atter), to unregulated protein, such as small animals (rabbits and the like
) and fishing also available to supplement the diet.  Indeed, some for
m of protein, beyond mere agriculture would almost be a must, I'd think.
Which means that our calculations may be overly simplistic -- what we're co
nsidering completely unusable terrain, such as swamps and heavy forest coul
d in fact supply some food needs.  Simple hunting/gathering behavior d
uring the wait for harvest to roll around would be both necessary and usefu
l.

And magic creates a whole huge unknown for me -- no author that I'm aware o
f has really explored the impact of magic on agriculture or animal husbandr
y.  Turning locusts, "fixing" the weather, curing diseases in animals
-- all of those could vastly increase the potential amount of food out ther
e.  Plus, we could probably see an improvement in communications betwe
en areas, meaning things like rice, American corn (as opposed to what the B
rits call "corn" which we call "wheat," potatoes, and other food crops that
 took decades or centuries to propagate here on mundane Earth, might spread
 in mere years in a magical world.  Which would led to greater variety
 both in diet and in the kinds of things that can be grown on land that mig
ht otherwise be considered "bad" land by someone who only knows one or two
types of crops.
in short, I'm thinking the basis for our calculations may be off by even an
 order of magnitude.
v/rJeff