Re: (TFT) Melee tournament Champion of Champions FINAL ROUND

Okay, lets look at this spearman vs Short sword straight up without any c
harges average damage for Spear is 4 [(1d+2)-1 for small shield]: average
 damage for short is 6 (2D-1).  So in a straight battle the sword will wi
n most of the time (75+%).

 Next scenario if you allow the two hex thrust or the spearman takes the
free attack when the swordsman comes in from outside 5 hexes and has no a
ttack.  Rd1 Spear 4 dam, sword 0; Rd 2 spear 4 dam, sword 6; Rd 3 sword 6
, spear dead because of -2 DX penalty.  So in 1000 battles (Again I don't
 have a simulator, but I am sure someone does) I would expect sword to wi
n at least 55% or better.

 So the only place spear is better is with a charge, now I will argue tha
t he shouldn't get one even 50% of the time. Here is why; on the melee bo
ard the characters start 13 hexes apart with a first turn initiative roll
.

 So if the sword wins initiative and makes the spear go first; then spear
 has to stay either in the 4 entry hexes or 3 megahexes farthest from swo
rds entry hex or he will be engaged next turn and lose the battle.  Turn
2 starts sword 6 hexes or so from spear then initiative is determined if
sword wins he has spear move and then engages, there will be no possible
charge.  Thus if sword wins initiative he should win the battle.  You mig
ht be saying wait what if spear went up against the wall so he only had f
ront hexes to attack, in that case sword stops one hex away (this allows
a two hex jab if using those rules). However a charge is not possible no
matter the initiative outcome on the next round, either sword closes the
one hex or spear runs and sword catches him and they are engaged the next
 turn.  In both cases sword should win.

 Next option again it is turn 2 with sword 6 hexes or so from spear who w
ins initiative. Spear has sword to go first, sword has two options depend
ing on deployment he can either run around to spears side or rear hexes o
r stay where he is.  If he runs around spear is not engaged so he can ope
n and get to a 50% initiative roll on the next turn.  However is sword st
ays put spear still can't get a charge his best option is to close to cha
rge distance and hope to win initiative again otherwise it is stalemate.
it makes no sense for spear to move first as he will end up engaged if yo
u were thinking there was another option

 Reboot scenario 2: If spear wins initiative at the start of the game and
 then makes sword go first, the best he can hope for is a 50% chance to w
in initiative next round by getting within 5 hexes.  Obviously if spear w
ins initiative the next turn he will charge. If sword goes to the center
megahex or any of the six surrounding megahexes he can reach anywhere on
the board.  That means that if he wins initiative on the following turn h
e can either avoid the charge and engage or if he can't close without acc
epting charge damage he can open the range.

 Thus you can see by playing the position game the spearman will not get
a charge 100% of the time and probably less than 50% which dramatically d
rops his survival rate.

 Finally if he does get his charge 50% of the time and lands it 84% and g
ets a knockdown 72% that means that spear devastating attack only happens
 30% of the time (in the only chance he has) vs 16% for the swordsman in
multiple rounds.  Also if Spear is 1+1 then that drops to 24%.  So even i
f spear wins 90+% of those battles he is still right around 50/50 with sw
ord and if you use 24% spear loses more than 50% of the battles.

                 Edward Kroeten
                   Farmers Agent

                   7100 Stevenson Blvd Suite 105
                   Fremont, CA 94538