Re: (TFT) Rewrite of Melee simulator in JavaScript

True, but the reality was that spears and pole-arms WERE more effective in
the initial phase of close combat for much of history.  It took specia
l formations or advanced training (or, in the end, firearms) to overcome th
e advantage they had -- even then, the Spanish Tercio, Swiss Pikemen, and l
ater, Napoleon's Polish Lancer squadrons, were quite devastating.  For
 that reason, I always assumed the original 1+2 damage was intended to refl
ect that superiority without doing the detailed research that would later r
esult in the GURPS mechanics for differing types of damage and special char
ge effects (above and beyond what Melee talks about).  Later on, in th
e Melee-verse, he nerfed it and started detailing more rules for charge att
acks and the like in order to better reflect it's true capabilities in both
 close combat and during the charge phase leading up to the scrum.  Bu
t that's about the time that he and Howard came to a parting of the ways, s
o the whole issue was never satisfactorily resolved, and we were left with
Thompson's more or less half-assed rules adjustments (which never worked th
at well and somewhat needlessly complicated the whole thing).  At leas
t that's more or less my recollection of events.  I definitely remembe
r the whole pole-arms question was starting to bubble about the time SJ lef
t Metagaming, but the subsequent rules changes were mostly attempts by HT a
nd company to overcome the problem by adding mechanics and then revising th
em as the negative feedback from players came pouring in....  Proving,
 I guess, that playtesting really IS an important part of game design!�� ;-)