Re: (TFT) Spear vs. Shortsword maneuvers

Because I can do it in one turn. Back away from a fallen foe one hex,
then charge back in. It makes winning initiative important to fallen
figures vs pole weapon users. They need to stand up first.

In the system of running three hexes I now have to back up further, and
by doing so I can't charge back in because I'll use more than half my
movement doing all this running around. This changes the tactics of the
game from what SJ meant as far as I'm concerned. Unless you let people
simply run around in some sort of weird three hex loop, and then charge
someone. Which to me just seems almost comical.

But I hear you Rick. Different tastes huh? Me, I stick with the lunge
concept. It's the best solution I've found without extra padding of the
rules.
David O. Miller
Miller Design/Illustration
www.davidomiller.com

2 Dean Court
East Northport, NY 11731
(631) 266-6875

On Oct 20, 2015, at 5:04 PM, Rick Smith <rick_ww@lightspeed.ca> wrote:

> I don't see how backing up so you can charge forward reduces the
> tactical maneuvering of the game.
>
> If by "chess like" you mean that the units don't back up before moving
> forward sure.
>
> Anyway, if you do not like people charging forward for more damage,
> that is fine, but I won't play that way - I'm happy with the both the

> extra damage from charges and the 3 hexes charges (tho I don't
> require the 3 hexes to be on the hex grain).
>
> Warm regards, Rick
>

> On 2015-10-20, at 1:54 PM, David O. Miller wrote:
>> I have always felt that the issue was with the nomenclature of the
word
>> "charge". It sets up a precedent in your mind that the physics is off

>> and that you've got to build up speed in a run, or "charge" to get
the
>> extra damage.
>>
>> I prefer the word "lunge". The way I see it is that you about 5 feet

>> from your opponent (in game terms one hex away), and you throw your
body
>> weight behind a sudden forward lunge. All of that force behind the
lunge
>> is concentrated on a small, sharp point which can now penetrate chain

>> mail, slide off of plate and find a joint to penetrate, or simply
punch
>> through leather.
>>
>> Once past the armor your victim is then impaled on basically a long

>> spike and takes a very nasty, deep, puncture wound that plays havoc
with
>> his internal organs, which to me warrants the extra damage.
>>
>> As many of you know I always felt that it was the doubling of the
>> damage, especially in the two larger pole arms, that was the real
>> problem. That's why our group came up with the +1d6, rather than the

>> doubling. It keeps the smaller pole arms basically as written, while

>> having the added bonus of making the two larger ones slightly less
>> devastating. If you start adding in rules such as moving 3 hexes in a

>> straight line then you give up some of the chess like, strategy
elements
>> that the game has. For example I want to move first so that I can
back
>> away from a fallen foe and lunge at him again, before he stands up.
That