Re: (TFT) Spear vs. Shortsword maneuvers

I think it really all depends as to wether you look at TFT as a game
with tactical movement rules, or a real world combat simulation. You can
come close to both in a game, but your bound to have overlapping issues.
I think that's what's happening here.

The one hex charge rule may not satisfy the real world combat simulation
gamers here, but from a game standpoint, I'm OK with it. In fact I think
it's a fundamental rule in the tactical movement rules that makes up the
game. Perhaps our feeble lunging idea is just our way to kinda justify
what the rule was modeling in the real world. As you've pointed out its
logic crumbles when you apply real world situations to it. But to
introduce some sort of realism into the game you'd have to start with
rules that might include extra movement, weight, mass, getting past
someones guard, etc. And that puts you moving further away from the
intent of the author of the TFT rules and into HT territory, or even
Gurps. And I'd rather not go there. I like my TFT simple.

Cheers,
David
David O. Miller
Miller Design/Illustration
www.davidomiller.com

2 Dean Court
East Northport, NY 11731
(631) 266-6875

On Oct 20, 2015, at 5:41 PM, "Edward Kroeten"
<ekroeten@farmersagent.com> wrote:

> That doesn't fit with actual combat results though.  Pikes and spears
wer
> e good against charging horses and men because the horses provided the
fo
> rce for the blow.  Infantry that went up against pikes and spearmen
walke
> d up and were able to penetrate the line without too much trouble.
>
> A lunging spear is no more effective than a lunging sword point.
There
> is no more force behind it, Force equals mass times acceleration.  So
dif
> ference in mass of two weapons will be almost nothing compared to your
bo
> dy and the point won't go any faster on a spear then a sword.
>
>  3 hexes is 4 meters which allows you, if not to get to your max
speed, a
> t least to generate a lot more force.  Adrian Peterson (and many
others)
> says it takes 7 yards to get to max speed so we are erring on the
conserv
> ative side of the equation.

>                 Edward Kroeten
>                   Farmers Agent
>
>                   7100 Stevenson Blvd Suite 105
>                   Fremont, CA 94538
>

>                 Office Phone 510-646-1500
>
>                   Mobile Phone 510-579-0135
>                   Fax 510-438-6875
>                   Website: www.kroeteninsurance.com

Farmers
> Financial Solutions, LLC, reserve the right to monitor and review the
conten
> t of all e-mail communications and attachments sent or received by or
from t
> his address and to retain them in accordance with the applicable
regulatory
> requirements. Securities are offered through Farmers Financial
Solutions, LL
> C, 30801 Agoura Road, Building 1, Agoura Hills, California 91301.
Member FIN