      From: David Bofinger <bofinger.david@gmail.com>
 To: tft@brainiac.com
 Sent: Wednesday, October 21, 2015 12:43 AM
 Subject: Re: (TFT) Pole weapons in Rick's campaign - Play styles.

> TFT is a game.  I do not use it to simulate reality, so calling on
examples
> from 600 years ago, tho interesting, do not tempt me to change my rules.
> My question on adding rules is do the new rules improve game play in
> some way.

This is fine as far as it goes, but leaves open the question of what is an
improvement. I think it's fairly clear that for 90+% of players the
relationship to reality matters. There's an attraction to TFT that chess
doesn't have: part of the fun is that what happens in the game can be
imagined as happening in real life, and characters can be imagined to be
real people. Conversely, a really silly rule like "characters with odd
strength walk on the floor, characters with even strength walk on the
ceiling" would be seen as bad even if it had some advantage in other ways.
So for most people eliminating a source of unrealism does, ceteris paribus,
constitute an improvement.

That said, maybe we don't need a lot of resolution: TFT mostly aims at a
simple approximation to more or less reality. And I'm doubtful about the
relevance of the performance of Swiss pike phalanges, that fought mostly in
open fields with thousands of men and 4.5 metre pikes, to the often cramped
conditions and small unit tactics of TFT soldiers wielding halberds and
spears.

--
David