Re: (TFT) Pole weapons in Rick's campaign - Play styles.

I'm mostly inclined to agree but there are some arguments the boomerangists
can use.

* The (non-returning, hunting, aka I kid you not "kylie") boomerang is
maybe 80cm long? So it can miss by quite a bit in the horizontal plane and
still be a hit. At least to some extent. So that's a partial explanation of
why it hits a lot.

* Boomerang + Thrown Weapons = 3 IQ of talents. Obviously more than just
Crossbow (1) and almost as much as Crossbow + Missile Weapons (4) so I
think we can call the latter an expert. You're right, at 20 metres he's not
really better than the boomerang, but at longer ranges the crossbowman can
make regular hits at really impressive ranges. (I don't know if you picked
20 metres to make a point, or just as an example.)

* Historically English longbow archers were really careful with their
arrows, keeping them in sheaves for instance rather than quivers, in
particular taking care of the fletching which was fragile and had a big
impact on accuracy. I sometimes wonder how badly arrow fletching degrades
under adventuring conditions. (I don't know how widely this applies to
other missile users.) Maybe all the crossbow shooting is rubbish for that
reason.

---
David