      From: David Carter <clumsyspider@hotmail.com>
 To: tft@brainiac.com
 Sent: Thursday, October 22, 2015 12:24 PM
 Subject: Re: (TFT) Classification of monster games. Defence of ASL

I actually bought a copy of War in North Africa when it came out. We even p
unched the counters for the first turn units and that was all she wrote. Wa
y to complex to play. Terrible Swift Sword was another monster game but it
played well. One of the cons had a 5 day 24 hr multiple player TSS campaign
. DNO/Unt and War in the East could be played if you had the time. Took me
and a friend 3 months to play WIE.

For my little group Advanced Squad Leader killed our enthusiasm for SL.

DJC

Sent from my iPad

> On Oct 22, 2015, at 3:17 PM, Rick Smith <rick_ww@lightspeed.ca> wrote:
>
> Hi all,
>  The discussion of Monster Games below prompted me to say
> what KIND of monster games are there?
>
> --- The first type are games like Quazar, or War in the West
> which had fairly simple rules.  They were monsters because they
> had huge maps and bejillions of counters.
>
> --- The second type are best represented by Advanced Squad
> Leader.  Lots of rules, but most scenarios have a fairly low number
> of counters and play quickly (if 2 to 4 hours are considered
> quickly).  Quickly at least, compared to the type one monster games
> given above.
>
> --- The third type of monster game are those that have huge maps,
> tonnes of counters and really long, complex rule books.  I've never
> played any of these, but from my readings, War in North Africa
> might fall into this category.  (I read that the designers admitted
that
> they never expected anyone to play it.  The game was to bought &
> admired for its research.)
>

> I would like to take exception to the slander that ASL has poor game
> play.  In many ways, it is more playable and more polished than the
> game it was created from, Squad Leader.  The rule book is so
> amazingly thick, because it tries to have rules for EVERYTHING.  Do
> you want to create a scenario, based on a real life battle where
> gliders landed at night on both sides of a river, and one side used
> star shells?  Well that game has glider rules, river rules, night fi
ghting
> rules and starshell rules.  But in 99% of the scenarios, you do not
see
> any of those elements.  If you are playing an exotic scenario, (with
 say
> Japanese tunnel complexes in the Pacific theatre), you read the page
> of rules for that weird situation and add it on the rules you know well.
>
> The basic infantry rules for ASL can be boiled down to 16(?), 18(?)
> pages of rules and they play is fast and clean.  I know this, becaus
> that is exactly what ASL starter kit does.  (I don't own Starter Kit
 1, so
> I can't check the exact page count as I type.)
>
> And the rules for ASL are phenomenally well organized.  They are
> indexed, cross indexed and logically laid out.  I can find rules in
ASL