Re: (TFT) Madison Traditional Gaming.

Hi Jay,
  I think that ITL brings so much to the mix, I would start with that.
However, you could do a one session arena combat where
people build fighters and wizards and send them in to fight.

I would give each person a few points for creating a character,
a few points for each fight they are in, a few points for winning
a fight, a point for "most unlucky death", a point for "killed most
often", etc.

The top 2 players would start the campaign with one extra
attribute, and everyone who got X number of points, would
start the campaign with half an attribute.

Or maybe give a weak magic item to the winner for use in your
campaign.

e.g.
Haste magic boots.  Cost 1 fST per 3 turns.
Adds +3 to your MA if you are in no armor, or cloth armor, +2 to
your MA if you are in Leather or Boiled Leather and +1 to your
MA if you have heavier armor.

You could distribute some poker chips to bet on the results of the
arena.  (You can't bet on your own characters.)  Each poker chip
won in this arena session turns into $10 of bonus starting money.

Since this is a one shot, I would give a full attribute for each
fight survived.  (Do not let these practice characters into the real
campaign.)  One character might get really powerful.  Encourage
people to gang up on him or her when you have enough
characters for a multi-person fight.

If you have any house rules you will use for your campaign that
involve fighting, use those in this practice session.

Have fun!!!

Warm regards, Rick.