      From: Jay White <riskoridan@hotmail.com>
 To: "tft@brainiac.com" <tft@brainiac.com>
 Sent: Tuesday, December 1, 2015 11:00 AM
 Subject: (TFT) Madison Traditional Gaming.

I have a question for everyone.  I am in a gaming group at the local g
ame s
tore and we meet every Tuesday evening.  What we do is several of us a
re GM
s, actually anyone can GM, and about every four months or so we switch
game systems.  The only requirement is that the system be pre-2K.�� I have b
een running MERP.  And am considering running TFT in the new "season"
start
ing in January.

Would it be better to run basic Melee/Wizard or could/should I jump right i
nto TFT/ITL?  I have been playing TFT since the time of the Beginning,
 th
e '80s...  Just would like some thoughts/ideas...

Jay White (the other Jay)

> Subject: Re: (TFT)  Shields and Feats.
> From: rick_ww@lightspeed.ca
> Date: Tue, 1 Dec 2015 10:22:10 -0800
> To: tft@brainiac.com
>
> Hi David,
>  Thanks for the comments.
>
>  Two handed weapons used to do one extra point of damage.
> In my revised weapon list they usually do 3 extra points of
> damage.  (The exception is pole weapons.  A two handed pole
> weapon does +2 damage, but then gets a x 1.5 multiplier if
> it charges closing the distance by 3 hexes.)
>
>  I have added lots of talents some of which come on the even
> number of IQ points, (e.g. IQ 10, 12, etc.).  However, to make
> talents easier to find, prerequisites are 2 IQ lower than the
> more advanced talents.  This means that given that Shield is
> IQ 7, then advanced shield talents will fall at IQ 9 and 11.
> (I've added so many talents, that this rule is actually fairly
> important to help people remember where to find talents.)
>
>  We will have to agree to disagree about making an IQ 8
> fighter obsolete.  I feel that a barely trained fighter SHOULD
> be beaten by highly skilled adversaries.  I am not troubled
> that many of the advanced fighting skills are higher IQ than
> 8.  That is how the TFT system is set up.  If you wanted to
> grab a bunch of my talents, but make them all IQ 8, it would
> not trouble me.
>
> The last edition of D&D that I played much was 2nd, which
> was before feats, so I can't comment much on them.  But if
> you were to write up a bunch of feats, I would read them
> with interest.
>
> In D&D you get more feats with higher levels.  Would your
> feats be based on buying DX and ST (but not IQ), or would
> you have another system?
>
> Warm regards, Rick.
>

> On 2015-12-01, at 1:25 AM, David Bofinger wrote:
> > If you make shields much better, you need to make two-handed weapons
much
> > better as well. Or one-handed weapons worse. Probably a bit of both.
> >
> > Caveat: This is based on what I've seen of Rick's advanced weapon talen
ts,
> > which might have changed since I saw them.
> >
> > Rick, you seem to like putting all your combat expertise talents (shi
eld,
> > weapons) at IQ 9, 11. I'm not sure why you do that but it has a coupl
e of
> > effects I suspect are undesirable. First, IQ 9 is only just above the
 hard
> > deck of IQ 8 so it makes the classic IQ 8 fighter pretty much obsolete.
 The
> > benefits of IQ 9 talents greatly outweigh the cost of 1 point so IQ 8 i
s no
> > longer a sweet spot. As an example:
> >
> > Fighter ST 12 DX 12 IQ 8 [Knife, Sword, Shield, Running, +3 @ I
Q 8]
> > broadsword, small shield: 2+0, aDX 12, stops 1, parries on 12 (
10%), MA 12.

> > Fighter ST 11 DX 12 IQ 9: [Knife, Sword, Shield, Improved Sword
, Shield 2,
> > +2 @ IQ 9] shortsword, small shield: 2+1, aDX 12, stops 3, parr
ies on 14
> > (22%), MA 10.
> >
> > OK, it's not absolutely one-sided, but I know who I'd rather back i
n a
> > fight. It's a pretty huge gulf in capability. Two-handed weapons also t
ake
> > a hit.
> >
> > I don't think the simple fighter should be made obsolete. Have to compe
te,
> > sure, but not get badly outcompeted by obvious analogous designs.
> >
> > Generally it tends to make the odd-IQ levels more useful than the even
> > IQ-levels, for anyone with an interest in melee combat. That's alread
y true
> > to some extent in the standard rules, because the best stuff is, IM
O,
> > somewhat more common at odd IQ than even, at least at lower IQ levels
. IQ 8
> > has Seamanship/Boating/Horsemanship which might be useful but is highly
> > situational and anyway that doesn't count because we don't get to choos
> > whether we have IQ 8. IQ 9 has Missile Weapons which can easily be real
ly
> > important, IQ 10 has Fencing but that's not a huge deal, IQ 11 has
Two
> > Weapons which can be quite a big deal (along with three critical party
> > skills, it's a big skill monkey level), IQ 12 has nothing much, I
Q 13 has
> > nothing much, IQ 14 has the high level unarmed combat abilities thoug
h they
> > cost a fortune. Add in your special combat talents and I think characte
rs
> > will be putting their IQ up two at a time.
> >
> > (Another feature of your weapon talents is that IQ 9 to IQ 11 is a smal
ler
> > jump than IQ 11 to IQ 13 so characters tend to stop at IQ 9 or IQ 13. I
> > think.)
> >
> > I'm not sure what the answer is to this. But I sort of like the idea th
at
> > the special abilities should be a bit more like what D&D calls feats an
> > less just "add two". Actually, my current theory of RPG design is to
ditch
> > as many numbers as possible and describe everything by characters havin
> > feats. Because feats are more fun than numbers.
> >
> > --
> > David

> > Post to the entire list by writing to tft@brainiac.com.
> "unsubscribe tft"