Re: (TFT) Shields and Feats.

Some thoughts or whatever...

Mastery is the idea of maximizing the execution of a Talent where
Expertise is concerned with the study of said Talent objectively. A
Master without Expert understanding isn't going to instruct others as
effectively while an Expert can communicate procedure but can't teach
any underling essence passively present as part of a Talent which
requires practice not perception to produce.

Talents in some instances at least may better be modeled as a skill
mountain rather than skill tree with each steep of elevation on the
mountain a more basic group of principals applying to the specific
implementations of the base generally the idea being Musashi's mastery
of "Sword" allowed Him to apply His understanding to not swords such
as boat oars to effect where a grunt trained in gladius gets a
negative modifier when using a saber say...

A low IQ cost could mean more minimal limited focus for a given Talent
which may be preferable when a population in general is primarily
concerned with say agriculture first and military ability second. A
population focused on the same Talents as Joe Average Adventurer
probably has problems practically speaking in producing the
necessaries needed to support it... Sparta suffered from such a
mismatch of practical focus I think for example.

Practically speaking many specific attack/defense items are very
specific to their time and place such that Persians may find wicker
shields suffice until bronze blades are replaced by iron and etc. This
can also be affected by other considerations such as available
materials for production and the ease of which makes spears eclipse
swords in situations requiring fast cheep equipping of martial forces
as opposed to the cost and time required to outfit the finest
equipment for each individual. Less practical concerns like profit can
play more of a role than warranted also.

The more formalized combat is the less the focus is on the fatal often
times such that ransom makes capture a consideration apart from
straight killing. Warrior cultures tend towards garish flamboyant
costuming for identifying the participants at least in part with these
self imposed limits formally passing into competitive sport at some
point and degrading into what is generally termed "total war" today
where civilian losses top martial totals in WWII for example. Such
reduction and square one restart results are not always preferable but
the modern mythology promotes progress as a fundamental result of the
civilized process that produces improvement over what was practiced in
the past ergo "slave" was shed by the american civil dustup and was
always generally a similar condition until finally done away with
which fails to account for the fact that the condition today arguably
exceeds that exhibited by any past period depending upon definition of
course but mainly owing to the same numbers that could be said to skew
the straight count from a population present today as availability
also creates a cost decrease with a slave cost just before the civil
war running ~30k adjusted in one estimate I ran across recently verses
today's ~$7... assuming that isn't sensationalized of course the point
being convincing the tribe to sleep where they poop so some psychopath
could take on the role of king wasn't unquestionably the start of an
elevator ride of up up upward progress period.

Position can play a key role in conflict and take priority over
physical injury as goal. Pushing through resistance can signal a
significant sign that further fighting would be fruitless if say the
supporting camp can no longer be protected from plunder and the food
feeding the fielded force is lost and so to the force in short order.

Oversimplified musings for consideration not advocated as correct...
listing everything with prices gives an impression that all weapons
are available at once at some Weapons Are Us big box retail
merchant... Other setups are possible.