Re: (TFT) Re: TFT Digest V4 #463

Ringside... that's a title that escaped Me... Avalon Hill?
I have focused on athletics as a additional set of Actions that give
Hero's options to spend fST for enhanced effect in balance to straight
spells. fST fits the mechanic typically occupied by HP "damage" much
better I find and actually models actual conflict much better at least
from My limited experience as the hurt generally results from being to
fatigued to offer effective resistance baring lucky blows etc. with
effects like bleeding amplifying this idea in practice at least to
hear the purpose of knife combat presented in My way back days of
infantry training where one is either trying for a stab to the
internals or a slash structurally severing a major muscle group
mechanically mucking up function and bleeding resulting in mainly
fatigue although slippery grip/footing and similar may also play parts
but bleeding would usually not be considered a goal directly as the
period of time required is considerable in combat consideration where
a minute can be forever in practice and with ST given as 1 pt foot pounds of force I find what isn't mitigated can be applied to
describe straight injuries rather than abstract HP's that in effect
are serving in a similar picture without the clearer conception that
allows spending fatigue for greater effect gambles where pushing ones
luck may be the only shot to win a race or similar contest where the
opposition has training or a significant advantage that otherwise
would for all intents and purposes leave no question as to the
outcome. One of My gripes I've sought to address in the addition of
constructive elements added to what generally can be a destructive
model as the only means of "character" advancement problem is the fact
that many RPG's allow swinging swords to slay "monsters" without
allowing swinging bats to hit balls which points to the problem of
destructive focus as the only option offered which I'm not saying
isn't valid but I am saying isn't a requirement either for a
successful "game" experience. It's just the model that marketed the
most profits returned when totalitarian business brought out the hobby
and froze further development in favor of pushing the model still used
today in My personal impression. I find it disturbing when the
expectations of the community become so turned around that the release
of a next edition ruleset totally reworked for marketing sales with no
pretense whatsoever at improving existing mechanics isn't even
questioned for the obvious exploitation of the community it
demonstrates with each baby thrown out with the bathwater it service
of a bigger bottom line and the community accepts such as that's fine.
That's a paramount obstruction blocking the development of the
tabletop mediums potential which never managed to finish it's initial
conception of cutting individuals out of the Unit herd as evidenced by
"human MA 10" for example which is much more of a miniatures modal
than an expression of individuality. If I'm on the right track in
advocating that it's Player participation in the creation of the
elements added through the act of Play that amount to the story or
plot normally experienced passively as a finished work in other
storytelling mediums that bar participation in the creation of the
works final form is a huge failure to play to the strengths of the
medium in design instead trying to mimic another mediums strengths to
meh effect. In FPS video like Boarderlands this shows as two Players
getting the same cut scene regardless of the button mashing
performance between scenes with one Player practically perfect the
other pitiful in Play performance which plot invalidates when
pre-written  I feel a number of titles have conceptualized ideas for
other approaches that have seen totalitarian business tactics prevent
in the standard practice of gutting the development team core of a
title with franchise potential after the bulk of the content that can
be milked from them creatively has been extracted and a less
artistically minded crew can replace those directly tied to the
contents creation and more likely to contend corporate calls to
maximize profits not the product itself. Here's hoping the recent slap
the destiny ruling awarding the composer nearly point for point what
was asked for in the wrongful termination suit sees a halt to the
practice as that's a fairly clear message indicating more than a
misstep took place.
Anyway I'll see if I can dig up text on Ringside as it sounds spot on
to what I'm looking at for detailed dueling and blow by blow combat
TFT doesn't do which is tough to get across conceptually as that dice
roll feels like an individual blow not a cumulative result of 5
seconds action in the manner of u.s. football short yardage plays.
With each square in the 1.3m hex on quarter inch graph paper working
out to a good enough for government work square foot per square (more
like 13" by 13" but that's quibbling when that square foot is
conceptually so useful) I can even represent footwork for fencing or
the sweet science where working an opponent into a corner can be a
tactical goal... or the reverse rope-a-dope of course which is fatigue
focused for sure. Stopping a planed routine on the other hand is
pretty hard especially if practice has set reflexive muscle memory.
Ever seen the mistake happening as You make it spotting it but unable
to stop it? Still trying to hit that fastball You can't see is worse I
think for leaving one feeling helpless. Totally outclassed is a
horrible experience but the way to experience meh in all things is to
risk no weaknesses to focus on no strengths trying to cover all
bases...
Plus each sport can get a fantasy treatment times two with the real
teams version and the blood bowl fantasy title as stand alone product
from a Jay has a stomach too Ya know perspective...