      From: David O. Miller <davidomiller@verizon.net>
 To: tft@brainiac.com
 Sent: Thursday, December 10, 2015 7:09 AM
 Subject: Re: (TFT) Megahex definition

Hey other David,

I was just thinking of the way you had put it that's all. The count 22
hexes, divide by 6 (or 5), round up the remainder, that made me shutter.
You might think that way but I do not. I'm of the school where you just
simply count the hexes 1,2,3,4,5,6: free, 7,8,9,10,11,12: -1DX, etc.
That's extremely easy to do, especially if you just count by twos. In
most cases you can just automatically see that a figure is at a -1 DX or
so without even needing to count.

The string is simply a straight edge to go from center of a hex to the
center of a hex to see if the line cuts through any terrain, or other
figures. Then it becomes a matter of either rolling to miss, or perhaps
some other modifier if the shot goes through soft cover such as foliage.
It just made sense to us to also add in the range finder knots. While
not an exact science it can quickly give you an idea what the general
range is, and in most cases you can just eyeball call the DX adjustment.
If it's too close then you can fall back on the counting of the hexes to
be exact.

Besides, a string is so much easier to wield than say a metal ruler, or
some other ridged straight edge. Especially around 3d terrain objects.

As for the center of a megahex, from the TFT rules: "Some thrown spells
(Slippery Floor, Megahex Sleep, Megahex Avert) affect not one hex, but
the whole megahex…. blah, blah, blah… (target) to the CENTE
R of the
megahex he wants to affect."

With square megahexes there is no center hex. So what hex would you
target? Getting rid of megahexes allows you to just target a hex and let
the effect happen in the adjacent 6 hexes. The whole concept of
invisible boundaries that megahexes gives you is just alien to me.
That's why we gave them up a looong time ago.

Does that make any sense?
David
David O. Miller
Miller Design/Illustration