Re: (TFT) New File on Dwarves on Rick's web pages.

My guess about why a Dwarf article gets attention is that dwarves
get used in a fair number of games and people like the notion.
And you're right that TFT doesn't detail or distinguish them all
that much, especially if you don't study ITL.

ITL though does detail them more than Melee does, if you study
the whole book. The race description says a few things, but then
there are special exceptions for dwarves also hidden in the ITL
rules for encumbrance and digging and exploring caves.

I also think that it's ok that TFT is vague about the descriptions
of elves and dwarves and (especially) orcs, because it leaves room
for GMs to design their own interesting flavors and ideas about
them. I've seen some pretty interesting additions, which also came
from not having many interesting details in the rules. That is,
by making the descriptions hint at something but not really give
many interesting details, it left room for players to eventually
feel an absence and want to provide something creative.

Some players I've known have long bemoaned the generic fantasy
races, and not just for TFT in particular. One comment that stuck
was that usually elves are just "humans plus (something)". In
ITL, Elves are given extra lifespan but half EXP, but mainly we
tended to ignore that a bit because half EXP is a big disadvantage
and extra lifespan doesn't generally come up for PCs. So PC Elves
got normal EXP, and NPC Elves got the extra lifespan taken into
account, I think, unofficially or unthinkingly.

My original TFT campaign had dwarves tend to be a bit more
distinguished and dignified than humans. Bearded ladies tends to
seem to me like a joke humans would make.

I always thought the D&D vision abilities were arbitrary and silly,
as you say like magic abilities, which seemed to be invented by
game designers wanting to hand out different random abilities
rather than having a reason for things that made sense, and also
using yet another mechanic that doesn't seem to be how the real
world works - vision limited to 30' range doesn't make much sense,
unless there is a magic illumination field that only extends so
far. It could make sense though for dwarves to be short-sighted,
if they really are somehow specialized to caves, but how did
that happen, really?

Ah well.