Re: (TFT) a survey of Melee and Wizard editions

Hi Guys,

 I guess my take on Jeffrey's good enough theory is that TFT fits that mo
ld.  Think about it with 5 second turns parries and ripostes are assumed
unless someone chooses the all out defensive posture of defend.  After al
l any klutz can hit someone with a sword/ax/spear in 5 seconds if the oth
er person is also just hacking away.  The system works for the most part
there are flaws but at the same time there is a lot of depth in the game
with aimed shots, crippling blows, waiting for an opening and unusual wea
pons.

 Now if you want to go into super detail where combats can take an entire
 day or possibly more then TFT probably isn't the right fit.  Again using
 Jeffrey's example of how a person falls plays out; according to my own e
xperience and everything I have read (history) generally falling in comba
t means that you are meat.  Now of course there are instances where someo
ne has survived but that just means that their opponent rolled a 16 or ab
ove.

 One thing that I do like that apparently Pvk doesn't is that usually you
 can guess how the combat will come out this is usually a realistic resul
t (i.e. a badly outnumbered party is going to lose).  So unless you are u
sing some house morale rules a small party of 8-10 really good warriors c
an't wipe out a small town like Bendwin in ITL (they get swamped and kill
ed).  Yet at the same time a good warrior has a chance to defeat 2 town g
uards.  If you want to play Cyrano de Bergerac or Scaramouche I have a ta
lent that I will post later that allows that type of character.  TFT is s
o flexible that it will adapt to whatever you want as long as you are wil
ling to go with good enough style of combat and let your imagination fill
 in the blanks.

 Best,

                 Edward Kroeten
                   Farmers Agent