Re: (TFT) Pitching game to newbies

Hi Meg,
  To start, make sure that the environment is pleasant and that there
are snacks, etc.

  Start with a simple subset of rules.  For example, I would not use
HTH rules until you are sure that they are committed to the game.

  I might do a sample session with pre generated characters.  Let
them know that this is a learning session and that there will be no
consequences if they mess up.  Second session they can write up
their own character or stick with the pre-gen that they picked.

  The key thing is to make the first few sessions fun.  Make sure that
they level up a couple times, make sure that their is some fights that
are not too difficult.  Make sure that non-combat skills are used and
generate some exp for them.  (In my campaign, I occasionally give
5 exp for 3 die saving throws if the throw is vital and the players are
low level.)

  An interesting story with the sense that something important will
be discovered 'just next session' will help them coming back.

 Steve Jackson Games sells, "Robin's Laws of good Game Mastering"
by Robin Law, which is a good resource.

  Warm regards, Rick.