Re: (TFT) Re: New Armor in TFT. -- David's thoughts.

It would still give you magic numbers. ST 12 would be much better than ST
11. Maybe not the end of the world but it would distort characters - nobody
would make a character with ST 11 any more, because ST 12 is so much
better. (The Roman empire fell because the gladius was a poor choice under
the new armour rules introduced in late antiquity.)

--

I think before making the rules more complex we should give some thought to
which kinds of complexity are harmful and which are tolerable. Meg's system

Something else that doesn't happen much is PCs getting hurt. When they do
it's not routine, it's an attention grabbing event and I think nobody would
mind a little bit of extra work.

Proposal:

* Armour has the DX and MA penalties given in TFT, or maybe those in Rick's
system since they seem to have a little more resolution and nuance than
TFT's.

* The advantages of great strength rules from TFT are deleted. Well, I
guess you can still kick chests if you want to but no armour benefits.

* If we want realism we ditch the names "cloth", "leather", etc. and just
think of them as Armour 1, Armour 2, etc. where the difference represents a
combination of thickness and coverage. The difference between plate and
leather is technology, not encumbrance. If we don't care about realism then
we keep the silly names and say they are quaint.

* The protection afforded by armour and shields is ST x [armour number] /
12, round down to the nearest sixth. So Flavius Marcellus, a ST 11
character with "chain" aka Armour 3 plus large shield (i.e. 2) has total
defence 4+3/6 in front and 2+4/6 from behind. For character sheet brevity,
write these "4.3" and "2.4" like overs in cricket. Sorry, that probably
wasn't helpful to most of you.

* When a character with non-integer armour gets hit, and the armour is
possibly penetrated, roll one die to determine whether the armour stops an
extra point. So if the armour is 4.3 then it stops 5 points on a 1-3 and 4
points on a 4-6.

* If a character puts on armour or shield made for a character with a
different ST then we have a problem. Divide the armour's protection by the
new character's ST, multiply by 12, round up to get the penalties.
Fortunately this shouldn't happen often.

In summary, a ST 18 character takes full penalties from leather armour, but
at least it stops 3 hits instead of two.

Thoughts and comments solicited.

---
David
What if, instead of having each type of armor have separate Threshold and
No Negative numbers, stronger characters just take progressively less
penalties for armor?

So maybe something like: each type of armor has its associated DX penalty,
per rules. Stronger figures take progressively less DX penalty. So, for
purpose of illustration, say a ST 12 figure takes 1 point less penalty, so
they can wear cloth armor with no DX penalty, or leather with only a -1, or
chain with -2, etc. Or ST 18 takes 3 fewer DX penalty, so anything up to
chain has no penalty, and plate-mail is at -3. You'd still end up with some
ST's being "more optimum" than others, but maybe you could stagger DX
penalties offset with MA penalties offset to get a smoother "optimization
curve".

- Meg