Re: (TFT) Guns in TFT - A big expansion.

Rick, my thoughts on the guns, I haven't gone through it carefully:

> to become an expert bowman requires years of training.  The memory cost for Bow, Bow2, Missile Weapons,
> and Missile Weapons 2 is 7 mIQ.  Add in the ST & sDX required to fire a decent sized bow twice per turn,
> and being an expert bowman requires a great commitment.

> Whereas taking Gun talent is only 1 mIQ and requires less ST than a powerful bow.  These are the true
> advantages of guns.

Technically the good gunner needs mIQ for the fast reload talent...

The biggest advantage of guns over arrows is that the guns penetrated
armour the arrows couldn't. I'm not
sure how long it took for guns to get that good.

The standard TFT microbes are supposed to be something they have on
Cidri. In a game set somewhere else
they might not exist. I think your rules should be explicitly agnostic
on the subject.

Sulfur-free powder does work. Not as well - some of the carbon dioxide
gets made into potassium carbonate
so there's less gas - but a larger charge of sulfur-free powder ought
to work more or less like regular powder.
At least, I can't see why it wouldn't. I guess there would be more
fouling. Maybe you want to ignore this
inconvenient fact.

There's no reason serpentine would be better than corned for resisting
the effects of microbes, in fact worse.

You've described three levels of gunpowder technology but there are
others and some people might like to play
with Napoleonic technology, or even the Minie balls of the American Civil War.

It's my theory that in a Cidri game nobody makes technology mistakes.
Anyone who wants to know about
tech asks a scholar to show them works that were originally copied out
of Mnoren encyclopaedias. The Mnoren
civilisation's records will explain that corned powder is better than
serpentine, etc. The Slope isn't Cidri, of
course, or doesn't seem to be.

A lot of the weapons seem more relevant to large-scale battles against
mass formations than adventuring.

--
David