Re: Dark City Games etc

Frankly, the whole discussion is a bit moot.  However, HT is alive and well in Austin, TX, where he seems to mostly be devoting his time to promoting atheism on a radio/PBS show and through various activism efforts.  You can see him on YouTube occasionally if you search.

He also periodically refuses to sell TFT to fans interested in buying the rights (and has a pretty weird procedure in place to accept bids -- you send him a cashier's check in the amount of your offer and he either cashes it or doesn't; if he cashes it, presumably the game is yours -- though without a contract signed by him, I can't see how this process is in any way legally binding on him, and it seems just as likely that he'd take your money and leave you holding the bag this way).  The most recent effort to buy I heard about was about three years ago now...

From: Andreas Davour <ante@Update.UU.SE>
To: tft@brainiac.com
Sent: Friday, September 30, 2016 5:13 AM
Subject: Re: Dark City Games etc

On Fri, 30 Sep 2016, Joe Hartley wrote:

> On Fri, 30 Sep 2016 00:02:18 -0400
> "David O. Miller" <davidomiller@verizon.net> wrote:
>
>> As for OGRE I know what SJ did with it. That was definitely a vanity
>> project. And I'm pretty sure he lost money on it.
>
> As I recall (and I'm too undercaffeinated to hunt in the archives),
> when SJ separated from Metagaming, the terms allowed him to take
> either TFT or Ogre/GEV.
>
> I'm not so sure that he lost money on Ogre; the kickstarter was wildly
> popular and got them almost a million dollars.  They kept adding
> content because they kept getting the backing.

You can loose a lot of money on a too successful crowdfunding campaign.
Steve has written about it. They learned a few lessons with Ogre.

BTW all this talk about Howard coming after Steve isn't it a bit moot?
Have anyone heard or seem from him the last 15 years or more?

-andreas

--
"economics is a pseudoscience; the astrology of our time"
Kim Stanley Robinson