Re: Dark City Games etc

Well you could have a DX contest instead of automatically adjusting -- that way there's no guarantee that it would work anyway -- and adjust the defender's DX by the number of attacks he wants to affect (e.g, -2DX -- for example -- for every additional attacker he's trying to fend off; or whatever adjustment seems right if -2DX is too much).  Whichever of the two contesting characters rolls lowest on DX wins (unless the attacker rolls over his AdjDX anyway in which case he simply misses.

If you don't like the extra die roll, simply treat a DODGE option as a -DX adjustment (I'd probably go with -1 or -2, max) to the attacker, and a DEFEND Option as stopping an extra hit or two (like armor).

The fact of the matter is, that almost any rule adjustment for "greater realism" will usually require more die rolls; it's sort of a law of nature.

From: "raito@raito.com" <raito@raito.com>
To: tft@brainiac.com
Sent: Friday, September 30, 2016 7:14 AM
Subject: Re: Dark City Games etc

As I say, and have said in the past, one of the great features of TFT is
that it is, in great part, rules about making rules.

And yes, I've experimented greatly with all those sorts of things over the
years (most of them are probably in the archives of this list).

And mostly, I've abandoned all of them as being costly in terms of either
time or record-keeping in detriment to the game. About the easiest was
allowing a character to, when defending or dodging, to use their DX to
adjust their opponent's roll upward. But on their next attack, they'd
adjust their own roll by the same amount. And if they dodged/defended for
multiple turns, the highest DX they used would be their adjustment. It
works OK, but you then tend to get characters going defensive for the
entire combat. And only having it be a viable option if you have a weapon
skill keeps the peasantry from avoiding damage by trained fighters. And
like most things TFT, it doesn't scale too well. One tweak might be to
make the adjustment 2 for 1. 2 DX to adjust the opponent's roll 1, but you
take an adjustment 2 on your attack.

I find the relative lack of healing magic to be a feature, not a bug. Some
disagree.

I also find that while one attack per 5 seconds works very well for the
game, it's not a good depiction of real-life combat. And yes, I have
fenced (and a bunch of other things, too).

As for religion, I do handle that in a rather idiosyncratic way. If you
want to have a religious character where the religion has real-world
effects, then consider being a wizard and take spells that fit that. If
you want to go a bit further, work up Priest or Theologian.

For the characters with Priest or Theologian, you'll have to have faith,
because you will never be able to command your god(s) to do anything. That
doesn't make the Talents useless, though. It's just that any affect they
have is unseen by the player. My implementation is that, per day,
characters with those Talents will have rolls that they cannot see
adjusted in their favor. One for a Priest, two for a Theologian. And if
you are in a situation where there aren't any such rolls for a day, too
bad. You're not doing anything that needs intervention.

Mass combat is pretty easy to fake up on a large scale. It's really just
using the entire bell curve at once, shifted higher or lower for numbers,
skills, and command Talents. It gets a bit rougher at medium scale, where
the particular units and movements are more visible.

Neil Gilmore
raito@raito.com