Going further and ditching the idea that adventuring is what makes you better is also realistic to a large extent but then you have to have some idea of something else that makes you better.

--
David

On 18 Oct 2016 3:41 PM, "Jeffrey Vandine" <jlv61560@yahoo.com> wrote:
I just take the opposite tack -- both are equally impossible, therefore neither ARE possible; it takes time to improve.  You don't lift weights of vastly greater mass a day after your last weight lifting session, you don't suddenly sprint a mile in 4 minutes when your best time yesterday was 7 minutes, and you don't wake up knowing Mandarin Chinese one morning.

Again, I'm not set in stone about it, and am always willing to listen to reasonable counter-arguments, but that is where my starting position is...

From: David Bofinger <bofinger.david@gmail.com>
To: tft@brainiac.com
Sent: Monday, October 17, 2016 4:24 PM
Subject: Re: D&D classic Psionics in TFT

TFT lets you raise attributes quickly. But some talents require years of experience and learning a spell takes months of labour. The use of mIQ means more spells and talents per attribute point, so this becomes more of an issue.
I allow learning instantly, on the grounds that if ST can go up because of an adventure then they can learn to ride a camel the same way. It seems to me that they are roughly equally implausible and I don't feel we need more realism in one case than the other.
--
David