Re: D&D classic Psionics in TFT

> Hmm.  I always required the players to be in a safe and
> restful place for a week or so before they could cash in
> their experience points -- it always seemed very "gamey"
> to me to have them suddenly "improve" right in the middle
> of an adventure.  My theory being that it takes some time
> and contemplation to fully realize and internalize the lessons
> you learned along the way during the heat of battle.

I agree.  One of the reasons my favorite chapter of The Lord of The Rings is "The Scourging of the Shire" is because it is almost like the hobbits are unaware they have gained any levels at all, until they return all the way home, and discover how impressive and effective they are compared to the people they grew up with.

But we, as gamers, are in the post computer era where players expect more instant gratification.  Even to the point of "dinging a level" in the middle of a fight.

These Psionic rules allow them their instant gratification, without denying the older tradition of delayed gratification.  Frodo didn't gain much Dexterity on that epic long campaign, but he did engage in more "ego whip" and "tower of iron will" type behavior.

Also I imagine it would be easiest to GM Sauron as a stateless, purely Psionic being.  Using Dominations, and making obedient robots out of the personalities of his victims.

Thank you for reading.

David Michael Grouchy II