Re: Magic Item creation: Notes D thru H. What? What???

Rick,
The kind of pricing structure in the notes seems rational for a product
showing diseconomy of scale, rather than economies of scale.

Your examples all illustrate economies of scale, similar to big boxes of
cereal that are cheaper than the same volume of small cereal boxes.

There are many things that don't show economies of scale, in which
expense increases rather decreases as the project gets bigger. For
example, building a skyscraper gets increasingly more expensive with
each successive floor, not less (I THINK). Similarly a 50-foot giantess
would not have the same proportions as a human woman, as volume would
need to increase faster than area. A rocket to reach 10,000 feet is much
more than a 100 times more expensive than a rocket to reach 100 feet.

I don't know how the magic item rules work anymore, but someone
mentioned the cumulative probabilities of an 18 arising in a weekly
progress roll. If creating an item simply required N weeks of work, then
pricing should show economies of scale (just as the examples you gave).
But suppose it required N weekly progress checks without an 18, then it
would get increasingly difficult with increasing N, and pricing should
show diseconomies of scale.

Again, without knowing the actual rules I'm not claiming the Notes D..H
are justified. I'm just trying to point out a potentially interesting
type of creation system where diseconomies would be justified.
Rob