Re: Magic Item enchantments: Notes D thru H.

Hi Dan, everyone.
  Dan, I think you have missed my point.

  The cost of a silver ring or gold ring is insignificant compared to the cost
of the enchantment.  But let us think of the cost of enchanting two crystal
balls.  One was a solid diamond the other is glass.  Let us assume that the
diamond would cost more.

  To make this example concrete let us say that the glass ball has a cost
of $500, and the diamond ball has a cost of $3,000,000.

  A crystal ball is a G type enchantment, which adds 50% to the underlying
value of the item to the cost of the enchantment.  This enchantment costs
$50,000.

  So using the rules in AW, the cost of the enchantment on the glass ball
is: $50,000 + 50%($500) = $50,250.  Note that the cost of the enchantment
has increased based on the value of the underlying item.  That price does
not include the cost of the glass ball, so the final cost is: $50,750.

  But casting the spell on the diamond ball is: $50,000 + 50%($3,000,000)
= 1,550,000.  Including the cost of the diamond ball the total is: $4,550,000.

  This seems totally wrong to me.

  I am pretty certain that what Steve Jackson intended is not what was
written in the rules.

  Warm regards, Rick.