Re: Why not close down the Brainiac TFT forum?

Boy, it just doesn't matter what I say, does it?  It's always wrong.  First I was demanding this site be shut down, and now I'm hashing on SJG by suggesting a forum thread on outlandish or complex rules that probably won't be official canon.

*sigh*  It was merely a suggestion.  You don't have to agree with it, or implement it, or even like it.  If you take the time to examine the forums over there, you'll actually find reams of rules discussion about things that everyone acknowledged would never make the cut for a revised TFT.  But you know what?  There's still value to publishing them over there, because Steve and company for sure see them; and while they may generally ignore the specific rule, they might find the IDEA behind it intriguing enough to work on and see if they can fit it in.  At the very least, it might help them identify a problem that they weren't particularly aware of in the game as it currently is.  So what's to lose by doing so?  What actual cost is there for putting the info out there?  It's not a zero-sum forum or list, so you could easily publish the same thing in both places -- I certainly have.

And, for the umpteenth time, I never suggested this site go away.  That was someone else's extrapolation and wasn't even CLOSE to what I said.

From: Peter von Kleinsmid <pvk@oz.net>
To: tft@brainiac.com
Sent: Thursday, May 3, 2018 3:40 PM
Subject: Re: Why not close down the Brainiac TFT forum?

At 10:41 AM 5/3/2018, Jeff V. wrote:
>That's your interpretation.  I believe that there is room for both
>this list and the forums, and that each can provide a good resource
>without "killing" the other.

Agreed. Each has a different context and I wouldn't want this one to go away.

>As far as avoiding the commentary over there about "TFT should stay
>the same," that's as simple as creating a thread titled RULES THAT
>WILL NEVER APPEAR IN TFT, and reminding the occasional dunce that if
>he doesn't approve of the rules variations suggested there that he
>needn't implement it.

I think there is a bit of a filter on the SJ forum because of the
context of the new TFT release which looks like it's starting with
basic Melee and Wizard for new & nostalgic players, which is all well
& good but not much help to people who have remained TFT experts for
decades and want to talk about existing campaigns and house rules.

But I also think it only discourages rules improvements to add
comments about what SJ isn't going to do in the new versions, or as
you suggest to add one's own comment about how a new good idea will
never appear in TFT. I think that's pretty needless and counter-productive.

I also don't agree with Rick that SJ isn't going to tweak and improve
some things, especially for the later more advanced TFT books. SJ has
already posted some of his thoughts that include at least a few
tweaks and changes to things, and he's clearly reading the forums, so
I think it's better to stay positive about the potential for
improvements and don't see what it helps to be adding remarks that
you don't think SJ will consider changing things.

PvK