(TFT) Re:copyrights

After seeing the recent discussions of the copyright laws, I happened to
notice in my copies of AdvMelee,AdvWizard,and ITL that the copyright was
held by ......STEVE JACKSON (1980) and published by Metagaming.  Did they
buy the copyright from him after that or does publishing it give them the
copyright?
Why would he try to buy back a copyright he held?  If he contracted with
Metagaming to publish the works, when they went belly up I would assume that
he would be freed of the contract(but I know what they say about assuming).