Re: (TFT) A draft attempt at a piece armor system for use with Gladiator Variant

On Mon, 20 Jul 1998, J. McGuire wrote:

> I'm not sure you *can* do a good piece armor system for this. The big, BIG
> problem is that (as TSR has been finding out for the past 25 years) an
> overall armor rating and individually armored zones just don't work together.
>
> 1) It's a simple roll, and the result table can be easily memorized
> 2) Gladiatorial combat can be considered to be a "special case" and
>    therefore this won't clog up normal TFT games
> 3) It adds needed detail without going overboard on complexity
>
> Of course, then you get lured into local hit points, changes to hit
> probabilities based on position, and all of the other scary things that has
> led to AD&D spawning $800+ worth of rulebooks and *still* not working
> right. But that, at least, is a simple enough system to give us some hope.

Advanced Melee sort of covers this with the "Aimed Shots" rules.
There are specific rules for attacking the legs, arms, wings,
head, what have you.  As I recall, its basically a -4 to the
DX roll to perform an aimed shot.

Dan