(TFT) Re: Harpies in TFT

Mark,
Thanks for your fast response and the information you sent.  I had been
hoping to keep the party occupied with other encounters before they ran
into the harpy. As it happened they met her on Wednesday evening. (There
is a write-up on its way to the TFT group). So I had to make up her
stats "on the fly". I found a reference to harpies in the back of the
Codex with the Weakness spell, (like Clumsiness but affects strength). I
used Steve Jackson's article on converting D&D monsters to TfT from
TSG#56.

My Harpy has ST:14, DX:14, IQ:11, MA:6 walking / 16 flying, feathers
stop two hits and DX-4 to hit while flying. Claws 1D+1 & poison affects
as a Freeze spell. The harpy's song affects listeners as a Weakness
spell draining strength, I allowed a saving roll vs IQ to resist its
effects. At this point in the adventure I have particular reasons for
not using "charm" or control person spells.

For future adventures I might use Ronald Pehr's harpy as it seems closer
to its myth origin. In hind sight, I would probably reduce the DX of my
harpy to 12 and/or use a different poison on her claws. The combination
of high dex and Freeze made her a lethal opponent. The extract you
quoted has made me curious about Ronald Pehr's other monsters.

Thanks,

Chris

Mark D. Aubrey wrote:

> >Does anyone have TFT stats for Harpies, including magical effects due to
> >their song?
>

> Hi, without wanting to add to the joy of copyright infringement, I offer
> the following portion of an article entitled 'Mythological Monsters For
> The Fantasy Trip' by Ronald Mark Pehr for discussion purposes only. :)  It
> appeared in _Different Worlds_ magazine, issue 16 in November of 1981.
> Ronald writes about the Harpy, the Mummy, the Minotaur, the Lamia, the
> Chimera and the Gorgon.

<snipped>

--
Chris Nicole