(TFT) When to deduct for a thrown spell

This one's got me a bit stumped.  Sal, a fighter (adjDX 9), and Cheech, a
wizard (IQ 12, adjDX 9), come across a pair of giant snakes (adjDX 12).

Battle ensues, and the snakes make their strikes first.  Cheech then
successfully casts a Control Animal spell on one of the snakes.

Since the snakes have already made their attacks, I'm assuming that Cheech
can't have it attack the other snake until the next melee round.  Correct?

If that is the case, does the spell still cost Cheech 2 ST this round and
1 ST the next?  That is essentially a 1 ST penalty for having a lower adjDX
than the animal controlled.

It seems to me that there are 2 other ways of dealing with this situation:
1) have the controlled snake immediately carry out an action of the
   controlling wizard's choice
2) Wait until the next round to deduct the 2 ST from the wizard

How would you handle it?