Re: (TFT) TFT Rights

As I understand it:

1. Steve Jackson released his claim on TFT copyrights in a settlement with
Metagaming in 1981-82. Metagaming owned the rights and Steve has no more
claim over them than you or me.

2. When Metagaming folded, its assets (including the TFT copyrights) would
have been distributed to Howard, it's sole shareholder.

3. So Howard owns the copyrights.

4. A willful infringement of a copyright carries statutory penalties as high
as $100,000 even if the infringer made no money. Steve is unlikely to take
that chance. Plus, he's got GURPS -- why bother?

5. Those copyrights last for 75 years or Steve's life plus 50 years,
depending on how the settlement was structured.

6. A copyright owner is under no duty to "defend" his copyright (that's
trademarks).

So it seems very unlikely to me that SJ (or anyone else) would be much
interested in running the risk.

--Ty Beard, Attorney at Law